The programs administered by PERMA substantially exceed the requirements for transparency. Members and taxpayers can gain exposure of the JIFs activities in the following ways:
- Public Meeting Notices: JIF public meeting notices are posted on the bulletin boards of all member local governments.
- Newspapers: All public meeting notices, requests for completive proposals, contract awards and budgets are published in local papers. The MEL’s notices are published in four papers: The Star Ledger, Atlantic City Press, Asbury Park Press and the Courier Post.
- Website: All notices are also posted on the websites maintained by the JIFs. The MEL’s website, www.NJMEL.org, is also a comprehensive resource site that averages between 9,000 and 15,000 visits per month. Web analytics show it is extensively used both inside and outside New Jersey.
- OPRA Requests: The JIFs administered by PERMA respond to an average of 85 OPRA requests each year.
- Annual Report: Each year, the MEL distributes 5,000 copies of its annual report.
- Elected Officials Seminars: Each year, over 1,500 elected officials attend training conducted by the MEL. Topics include:
- Employment Practices
- Employee Safety
- NJ Local Officials Ethics Act
- Land Use Liability
- Preventing Child Abuse